In Islam martyrs go to heaven with so many virgins did these men want to be killed so they could die this way.
- Man tells camera: ‘I apologise that women had to witness this today’
- Soldier attacked with meat cleavers and knives in Woolwich, SE London
- Eyewitness says: ‘They were hacking at him, chopping him, cutting him’
- Two suspects waited until police arrived before trying to attack them
- Prime Minister David Cameron described the killing as ‘truly shocking’
- Cobra meeting hears there are strong indications it was terrorist incident
- Suspects used ‘a number of weapons’ in attack, Metropolitan Police say
- Muslim Council: Act will no doubt heighten tensions on British streets
A dramatic video tonight emerged of a man with bloodied hands, carrying knives and ranting ‘We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you’, after a serving soldier was hacked to death by two men just 200 yards from an Army barracks.
The man can be seen and heard talking to the camera. The video came as terrified eyewitnesses saw two men shot by police marksmen after the machete attack in Woolwich, south-east London.
The two men are thought to have waited around for 20 minutes until Metropolitan Police officers arrived and then tried to attack them – but were swiftly shot by armed policemen, including a woman.
The Home Secretary said she had been briefed on the killing by the head of MI5 and police later confirmed they were treating the incident as a possible terror attack.